The Esplanade Association Highlights of 2013
Improving the Landscape
• Our new composting program is improving plant and soil health making the park more sustain able and maintainable.
• Thanks to our full-time Horticulturist we have installed a garden Clarendon Street, pruned trees throughout the park, added plantings, and enhanced park maintenance.
Partnering with the Community
• We organized a record 2,800 volunteers for projects that included picking up trash, cutting back invasive plants, painting benches, raking leaves, and cleaning playground areas.
• This fall volunteers helped us plant 6,000 new bulbs as part of the Marathon Daffodils project; we are looking forward to a colorful spring.
Enriching Outdoor Experiences
• Over 5,000 people participated in our free summer fitness programs including Zumba, Yoga, Crossfit, Boot Camp, Pilates, and Run Club.
• Children in the Park introduced 1,500 youths who have limited access to green space to the joys of outdoor play at the Esplanade.
• We installed creative new sculptures at the Stoneman Playground and Esplanade Playspace.
• Temporary art displays like Cool Globes, Play Me I’m Yours, and Lucy Light Forest brought new energy and excitement to the park.
Building a Better Park
• Eliot Memorial Revitalization – In September, we broke ground on the Eliot Memorial. This project is the result of over five years of fundraising and advocacy efforts to revitalize this historical memorial. The revitalization will transform the decaying site into an inviting gathering spot offering new seating, improved views, and enhanced plantings — creating a superior visitor experience.
• Hatch Shell Area Restoration – In 2013, we launched our new Corporate Champions Program with Santander, our inaugural partner. In October with Santander, our inaugural partner. In October we received $100,000 from Santander to kick off Phase 1 of our Hatch Shell Area Restoration.
Thank you for helping us make life better on the Esplanade in 2013!